Meet Media Queen Ebony J

There are so many words to describe this dynamic woman; however, Queen Ebony J can be summed up in one word, “Servant.” Everything she is, everything she aspires to be is to leave her impact, her mark on this world. For every little girl who has been told she is to much, to loud, to dark, overly dramatic, not popular and the list can go on, Ebony J is the epitome of taking every stone thrown at her and using it to build her empire.

It has always been her calling to talk and perform. Her mouth is her instrument. As a child she was actively involved in the church. It was a training ground for her to develop her passion for acting, choir, theater and more.

She completed her high school education at Hughes High School where they learned from a very comprehensive communications program. She learned how to develop camera films, hosted talk shows, acted in TV series and more. While at Hugues she was the editor for the school newspaper, delivered the morning announcements and when presented with an opportunity to create something even more meaningful for students, she created a literary arts magazine so everyone would have the chance to share their stories & express themselves through the arts. 

One day Box Miller from Radio One came to Hughes for career day and asked her, “How would you like to get paid to talk and voice your opinions and it matters? This led her to intern at the WCPO Careers in Media (a Scripps Howard company), however she did not want to be in front of a camera. She would rather on radio because she was told she wasn’t pretty enough and through her experience with abuse & sexual assault she lacked confidence from trauma.

As she and I spoke and shared our experiences, it was very clear to both of us that the people in our lives tried to kill the seed God had planted on the inside of us before it could fully manifest, and we could realize the true power that was on the inside of us. WCPO granted her a dual internship opportunity with her dream radio station, where she could be on the radio and learn the ins and outs of being in front of the camera. Ebony J says, “When God is in it and it’s your calling, He moves.”

This experience led her to Northern Kentucky University (NKU) where she took the campus by storm. By the 2nd week of her first semester of college, she had her own radio show, The Ebony J Show at NKU Norse Code Radio Station. Then she had the opportunity to host their version of Apollo when the new college students came to get acquainted with the campus. Hosting events like this let the Tri-State see her talents and she began to host events from there.

Ebony J says, “I just show up as myself and things just start to happen.” She has always been a leader. When she talks, people listen. Her drive and ambition led her to be the youngest member of the Board for the American Red Cross at the age of 17. 

Upon graduating from NKU, she started her own media company, Ebony J Media because she had built a solid reputation hosting events. The Ebony J Talk Show taught her marketing and branding which led to hosting, promoting, public speaking, facilitating classes and training as well as influencing work.

Ms. Ebony J’s career took off as she landed her dream job at 101.1 The Wiz, a renowned radio station. She joined as the producer for the midday show, and her infectious energy quickly made an impact on the airwaves. Her exceptional skills and dedication soon led her to become a part-time on-air talent for the weekend night mix show, where she further showcased her talent.

Her career soared to new heights as she moved on to become a producer for the Russ Parr morning show, earning rave reviews for her exceptional work. Her talent and professionalism caught the attention of industry icons, leading her to produce for shows hosted by renowned personalities such as Rickey Smiley, DL Hughley, and Monique.

Embracing her unique energy and vibrant personality, the Queen City embraced Ms. Ebony J as she ventured beyond radio and started hosting events at Cincinnati nightclubs, concerts, and speaking engagements. Her presence on stage empowered people to pursue their dreams and live their lives to the fullest.

After three successful years at her dream station, Ms. Ebony J transitioned to RnBcincy, where she currently works on the weekends, continuing to make a significant impact in the industry. Alongside her radio work, she also hosts a syndicated Community Conversation Podcast that airs on all Radio Cincinnati stations. This platform allows her to engage in meaningful discussions that resonate with the community.

Recently, Ms. Ebony J celebrated a significant milestone in her career, marking 10 years with the company. Her dedication, passion, and ability to connect with her audience have solidified her as a respected figure in the media industry.

Throughout her journey, Ms. Ebony J has exemplified perseverance, professionalism, and a commitment to uplifting others. Her dynamic career serves as an inspiration to aspiring media professionals and highlights the transformative power of following one’s dreams.

In her role as an adjunct instructor, education coordinator, and director of students and curriculum at the Ohio Media School, she made a significant impact on the lives of aspiring media professionals. Her dedication and expertise helped more than 2,000 individuals achieve their media dreams.

Additionally, she contributed to the education sector by creating a comprehensive curriculum that enabled students to explore various aspects of media production and develop their skills for Dohn High School which provided valuable hands-on experience and mentorship to young students interested in the media industry. 

With all of this experience behind her, she wants to transform Ebony J Media into a school to teach individuals and organizations how to effectively communicate with the media. Her goal is to help her clients develop the skills and confidence they need to navigate media interviews, handle crisis situations, and promote their brand effectively. Her company offers customized training programs that are tailored to meet the specific needs of each client is delivered by experienced trainers who are experts in media relations.

She is moving away from the hands-on marketing and advertising into a more advisory role, teaching others how to do it themselves. She currently teaches 20 students how to use their voice through media through the Hamilton County summer Youth employment program 5 days a week. Most recently she started a cohort for Media Coins Academy, a comprehensive program that focuses on teaching individual entrepreneurs how to effectively market their businesses through various media channels. 

With all of the numerous hats she wears, Ebony J is learning to slow down and find balance. Finding balance in a world that is hectic and everyone is pulling you in a million directions is not only stressful but draining. At this point of her life she is shifting her focus to create a life of comfort. For so long she has done what everyone else has wanted and needed but now it is time for her to focus on creating the life she wants to enjoy.

After years of prayer for new dreams, God has finally given her new dreams. Her media school will not only be her headquarters for teaching other media, but a safe place to learn, create content and continue to make a difference through media platforms. 

Imperfections are part of our journey, but your worth remains constant. Love fiercely and give your all, because you deserve nothing less. Embrace your worth, and never settle for anyone who doubts it.-Queen Ebony J

To learn more about Queen Ebony J, and her coaching programs please follow her on Facebook at Queen Ebony J, or visit her website at ebonyjmedia.com.

More Reading

Post navigation